Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#75295 - 26/02/2002 12:52 "Least Recently Played" is definitely HOSED in b11
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Over the last few days I have been paying close attention to which songs have been played on my player. And I have come to the conclusion that "Least Recently Played", and possibly other weighted shuffles, are not working correctly in Beta11. This takes into account the 14-day limit of the recently-played-date storage field.

Several times over the last few days, the player has played a song which, within the prior 24 hours, had been played to completion on the player. I had re-shuffled using either the main menu, verifying that it really did say Least Recently Played, or sometimes the 0 button on the remote.

The point of LRP is to weight recently played songs to the bottom of the list. I'm getting them randomly instead of weighted.

One variable needs to be inserted into this equation: Bookmarks.

I have recently started using bookmarks to listen to CarTalk episodes ripped from their website and installed on the player. So I do the following:

- Upload CarTalk episode to player.
- Take player out to car and insert it into the car.
- Turn off shuffle and select my CarTalk playlist.
- Listen to part of an episode of CarTalk while I drive.
- When I reach my destination, I bookmark my position in the CarTalk playlist.
- I only listen to CarTalk when I drive. So when I come back into the office or house from the car, I turn shuffle back on and hit down-down-down to get a Least Recently Played shuffle of the whole player. (Not counting cartalk which is IgnoreAsChild.)
- When I go back out to the car, I load up the bookmark and it keeps playing the CarTalk episode.

So I go like this, alternating between the bookmarked CarTalk and the shuffled music. And it is at this time (after a re-shuffle) that I notice it's playing songs I just heard on the prior re-shuffle, despite the Least Recently Played option having been the one I chose for shuffling.

Anyone?

#75296 - 27/02/2002 05:19 Re: "Least Recently Played" is definitely HOSED in [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Tony - try a custom shuffle based on LRP, but without any random element. Report what you find.

I've noticed that a lot of my tunes have 2 last_played fields:

2405 36e0 Thru\ Metamorphic\ Rocks:
type = tune
last_played = 1008094024
skip_count = 0
play_count = 2
drive = 0
length = 16717802
title = Thru Metamorphic Rocks
PlayCount = 2
SkippedCount = 0
LastPlayed = 1008094024
year = 1979
artist = Tangerine Dream
genre = Instrumental
source = Force Majeure
codec = mp3
bitrate = vs153
offset = 0
samplerate = 44100
duration = 872168
tracknr = 3

Maybe yours do to, but aren't identical as mine are?

#75297 - 27/02/2002 06:16 Re: "Least Recently Played" is definitely HOSED in [Re: tms13]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
LastPlayed is totally bogus. It's introduced by emptool.

Also, the "last_played" field is stored in dynamic data, and should never appear in the *1 file.

#75298 - 27/02/2002 10:31 Re: "Least Recently Played" is definitely HOSED in [Re: tms13]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tony - try a custom shuffle based on LRP, but without any random element. Report what you find.

I already tried that a couple of betas ago. It didn't work. Haven't tried it in B11.